Bạn đang xem: how long does it take
We all have different motivations for learning a new language. But with over 200 million speakers worldwide, German is a popular and extremely rewarding choice.
But just how long does it take to tướng learn German? After all, as you mix out on your German journey, you probably have certain objectives in mind. And it’s important to tướng have some idea of how long it will take you to tướng achieve them.
Fortunately, for English native speakers German is one of the easier foreign languages to tướng learn. Of course, how quickly you learn it depends on a few things:
- The effort you’re willing to tướng put in
- How often you practice
- Finding a suitable learning technique or method to tướng use
By the way, if you want to tướng learn German quickly and having fun while doing it, I strongly recommend German Uncovered, my in-depth online German course for beginners that teaches you through the power of story.
If you're ready to tướng get started, click here for a miễn phí 7-day trial of the course.
Anyway, back to tướng the question at hand… how long does it take to tướng learn German?
Estimated Hours Of Practice
The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) has created a practical reference for individuals interested in learning a foreign language. The list contains difficulty ratings and the estimated number of classroom hours necessary to tướng learn each language at a semi-proficient level.
German is rated as a category 2 language and considered to tướng be similar to tướng English. The FSI estimates that German takes approximately 30 weeks, or 750 classroom hours to tướng learn.
This study was conducted on a group of language students who spent 25 hours per week in class, and three hours daily on individual practice.
Although that may sound lượt thích a lot, even languages closely related to tướng English, such as Spanish and French, can take up to tướng 24 weeks or 600 hours to tướng learn.
The most difficult languages, such as Mandarin Chinese and Japanese can take up to tướng 88 weeks or 2200 hours to tướng learn. Considering these facts, German doesn’t actually take as long to tướng learn as you might think.
Factors That Influence How Long It Takes To Learn German
There are many different factors that determine how long it takes to tướng learn German.
Your overall motivation to tướng learn, the amount of exposure you get to tướng the language, and finding the right teacher or method are some of the most important contributing factors. Utilising your German and practicing it in everyday situations will also help tốc độ up the learning process.
These factors need to tướng be in the foreground when putting together a language learning program. Let’s explore these aspects of language learning in more detail.
How Much Time Do You Spend Studying German?
One of the main factors that determines how long it takes you to tướng learn German is the amount of time you invest in studying.
The more time you spend learning German, the faster you will gain basic proficiency. It's really that simple.
In a perfect world, you could travel to tướng Germany and fully immerse yourself in German culture while attending language courses.
However, in reality, most of us don’t have any more than thở a few hours to tướng dedicate to tướng our learning each week. In order to tướng make the most of this time, you’ll need to tướng choose appropriate learning methods.
We all learn in different ways and some methods work better than thở others. In order to tướng optimise your language learning sessions, it’s important to tướng learn efficiently.
The best way to tướng become comfortable with a new language is through regular exposure to tướng it. Reading German books, listening to tướng German conversations, writing down new phrases or words, and language learning apps all provide opportunities to tướng practice the language.
However, you’ll also need a teacher to tướng help guide the way. This could be through a traditional language course, an online class, or a language partner program.
Finding The Right Teacher Or Tutor
It may be challenging to tướng find the right teacher in the beginning. We all have different learning styles, as well as teaching styles and personalities.
Take the time to tướng explore all your options and find a course of action that motivates you to tướng learn German the most.
Depending on the opportunities available in your area, it may be possible to tướng join a German retreat, attend a conversational Stammtisch (an informal German meetup group), or take part in an online German speaking group.
The main idea is to tướng interact with the language as much as possible and start communicating in German.
If you find you’re making slow progress with one teacher or method, try moving on to tướng another to tướng see if it suits your lifestyle and learning style better.
A combination of techniques and resources is what will provide a successful strategy to tướng learn a foreign language quickly and efficiently.
- If you have a great teacher but don’t practice outside of class, you’re unlikely to tướng learn very fast.
- Similarly, if you practice regularly, but don’t have a teacher to tướng point out your mistakes, you’re probably not going to tướng be able to tướng maximise your learning.
Try to tướng use time with a tutor or a native speaker together with consistent study on your own to tướng gain maximum exposure to tướng the language, and you’ll optimise your chances of learning German faster.
What Makes German Difficult To Learn
There are many reasons the language learning process may not go as quickly as you would lượt thích.
Some common hurdles include:
- Losing motivation due to tướng complex grammar concepts
- A lack of exposure or practice
- Working with the wrong teacher or tutor
- Using inefficient methods
Maintaining Your Motivation
It’s important to tướng maintain a high level of motivation throughout the language learning experience.
Xem thêm: na2so3 + bacl2
Make a list of the reasons you want to tướng learn German, how it can benefit your life, and what you can vì thế once you are proficient.
Keeping these goals in mind will help you stay motivated and on track.
Tackling German Grammar
German grammar may seem complex and some concepts can be hard to tướng grasp in the beginning. This is where a teacher can help.
It’s almost impossible to tướng learn a language without some help from an expert. A teacher or tutor can help you grasp new grammar quickly, and correctly master pronunciation.
German grammar is more precise and intricate than thở in English, ví you are bound to tướng face roadblocks along the way.
Instead of spending hours on your own trying to tướng grasp a concept, prepare a list of difficult subjects to tướng go through with your tutor.
German grammar doesn’t have to tướng be extremely complicated. The right language tutor or course, can explain even the most challenging concepts clearly and simply.
However, having the wrong teacher or method can make these concepts seem even more difficult and lead to tướng a lack of motivation to tướng keep learning.
If the methods or teacher you’ve chosen don’t appear to tướng work after a few months, it may be time to tướng consider changing your course of action.
Practice Makes Perfect
Even if you’ve found the optimal language tutor or course and you're highly motivated, your language progression may be slowed down by a lack of practice.
Daily exposure to tướng the language is essential for fast learning. Practice speaking, reading, writing, or listening on a daily basis to tướng reaffirm what you’ve learned in classes.
Why English Speakers Have An Advantage
Although there are some aspects of the German language that make it difficult for native English speakers to tướng learn, there are many aspects that make German easier faster to tướng learn for native English speakers than thở other languages are.
- English and German both belong to tướng the Indo-European family of languages and are both Germanic languages. This means English and German both share commonalities in vocabulary and grammar. For example, some words sound similar, or are even the same. Baby, khách sạn, kindergarten, instrument, radio, tiger, Clip, wind, and ring are just some examples of words that are the same in both German and English. Chances are, you already know quite a few German words. This makes learning German much easier, and faster, for English speakers, compared to tướng other languages.
- English and German use the same alphabet. This is one of the main similarities between English and German. And it makes German much easier, and faster, to tướng learn than thở languages with different alphabets, such as Greek or Russian. There are a few slight differences, which include the letters ä, ë, ö, ü, and ß; but although these letters may look strange, their pronunciation is not especially difficult or unfamiliar. They are used in many German words that have been borrowed from English and vice versa. Learning these common words first can help you start speaking German faster.
- German verbs follow regular patterns that are easy to tướng learn. Even irregular verbs are easier for English speakers since they follow much more regular patterns than thở in English. Verb conjugation also follows regular rules, making it easy to tướng master relatively quickly. Unlike English, German has fewer rule exceptions, which can tốc độ up the learning process.
- German words also follow mix pronunciation patterns, taking the guesswork out of speaking. This makes it much easier to tướng quickly practice speaking since most words are spoken as they are written.
- You can begin to tướng communicate effectively just by learning a few hundred German words.The German language also has fewer words than thở English, making it faster to tướng learn. The German dictionary contains approximately 200,000 words (and the number you need to tướng actually speak and communicate is far, far lower). The English language on the other hand, uses up to tướng one million words. Many German words are created by combining root words with prefixes and suffixes which means that once you become familiar with these roots, prefixes and suffixes, you can effectively deduce the meaning of new words.
So, How Long Does It Take To Learn German?
Above all else, how fast you learn German depends on how much time you are willing to tướng invest in learning the language. Learning time is most accurately calculated in minutes and hours, not months and years. So if you mix aside practice time on a daily basis you will learn faster.
It is estimated that a total of 30 weeks or 750 classroom hours are necessary to tướng learn German. But you could complete those 750 hours in a matter of months or over the course of many years. It all depends on your learning style and available time:
- Language students who practice a method of complete immersion, with eight hours of practice per day, could learn German to tướng a high level in a matter of months.
- Studying 8 hours per day, 5 days per week you could complete 750 hours in less than thở trăng tròn weeks
- Those who dedicate at least one hour per day to tướng language learning can achieve an intermediate level within two years.
- Studying 1 hour per day, every day you could complete 750 hours in a little over 2 years.
As we’ve seen in this article, other factors also influence how long it takes to tướng learn German.
Since German and English have many similarities, language students can use these to tướng their advantage in order to tướng save time.
English grammar and spelling have many exceptions to tướng the rules. German, on the other hand, rarely has exceptions to tướng the rules, making it much faster and straightforward to tướng learn.
How long it takes to tướng learn German is really up to tướng you.
The more time you invest in daily practice, the faster you will see progress.
If you’re able to tướng travel to tướng Germany or submerse yourself in German culture in some other way, that can help you to tướng learn faster too.
But in the over, whether you study abroad or learn from home page it’s up to tướng you to tướng put in the hours and spend time with the language.
So, what are waiting for… ? It’s time to tướng get started! Viel Glück!
Want A Natural Way To Learn German Fast?
If this post has piqued your interest and you're motivated to tướng get started on your German learning journey, then I've created something I know you'll love.
It's German Uncovered, my story-based German course to tướng take you from complete beginner to tướng intermediate level, without pouring over grammar books and textbooks.
Over the years, and through countless experiments, I've perfected my story-based method for learning languages in a more natural, enjoyable way. And now I want to tướng share it with you.
Go kiểm tra out the method and learn more about the course by clicking here.
What’s your experience of learning German? What motivates you to tướng learn it? Let us know in the comments!
Xem thêm: co2 ra k2co3