Hydrochloric acid is a very strong organic acid and aluminium oxide is an amphoteric metal oxide. Let us discuss the reaction between HCl and Al2O3 in this article.
Bạn đang xem: al2 o3 + hcl
Aluminium oxide is an inorganic metal oxide and is amphoteric in nature which means, it reacts with both acid and base. At high pH, it behaves as an acid and at low pH, it is a base. Two aluminium atoms are available for every three oxygen atoms. Hydrochloric acid is a colourless acid with a high degree of dissociation.
The following article will discuss more basic facts about HCl and Al2O3 lượt thích the product of HCl and Al2O3, the type of reaction being HCl + Al2O3, and balancing HCl + Al2O3.
What is The Product of HCl and Al2O3?
The product of HCl + Al2O3 is Aluminium chloride(AlCl3) and water(H2O). Three atoms of chloride are available for one atom of aluminium.
What Type of Reaction is HCl + Al2O3?
The reaction between HCl and Al2O3 is an example of a double displacement reaction. The chloride ion in hydrochloric acid is displaced by the oxygen of aluminium oxide and the formation of aluminium chloride takes place. Two aluminium atoms are available for every three oxygen atoms.
HCl(aq) + Al2O3(s)= AlCl3(aq)+ H2O(l)
How to lớn Balance HCl + Al2O3?
The HCl and Al2O3 reaction can be balanced by the hit and trial method according to lớn the steps given below –
HCl(aq) + Al2O3(s)= AlCl3(aq)+ H2O(l)
- As the reactant contains two aluminium atoms so sánh two moles of the aluminium chloride must be present on the reactant side in order to lớn balance the reaction.
HCl(aq) + Al2O3(s)= 2AlCl3(aq)+ H2O(l)
- In the above reaction, six atoms of chloride ions are present on the product side. In order to lớn balance the reaction, six moles of hydrochloric acid must be present on the reactant side.
6HCl(aq) + Al2O3(s)= 2AlCl3(aq)+ H2O(l)
- In the above reaction, six atoms of hydrogen and three atoms of oxygen are present on the reactant side. So in order to lớn balance the reaction, three moles of water molecule must be present on the product side.
6HCl(aq) + Al2O3(s)= 2AlCl3(aq)+ 3H2O(l)
Hence, the reaction is balanced.
HCl + Al2O3 Net Ionic Equation
- The balanced molecular equation is written as 6HCl(aq) + Al2O3 = 2AlCl3 + 3H2O.
- HCl is a strong electrolyte and it dissociates into H+ and Cl– in water. The aluminium metal ion(Al3+) combines with Cl– ion and displaces H+ in Hydrochloric acid. Aluminium oxide dissociated into Al3+ and O2.
HCl = H+ + Cl–
Al2O3 = Al3+ + O2
Al3+ + Cl– = AlCl3
- The aluminium ion contains three positive charges which combine with three chloride ions, containing one negative charge each, and aluminium chloride is formed.
HCl + Al2O3 Conjugate Pairs
HCl is a strong acid so sánh its conjugate base is Cl– which is obtained on the donation of H+. Since, Al2O3 is an amphoteric oxide so sánh,
- The conjugate base of Al2O3 is [Al(OH)4]–, which is produced when Al2O3 reacts with a base lượt thích NaOH.
Al2O3(s) + 2NaOH(aq) = 2Na[Al(OH)4]–(aq)
- The Conjugate acid of Al2O3 is [Al(OH2)6]3+, which is produced when Al2O3 reacts with hydrogen ions.
Al2O3(s) + 6H+(aq) = 2[Al(OH2)6]3+(aq)
HCl + Al2O3 Intermolecular Forces
Xem thêm: bao + so3
HCl is a polar compound in which H+ and Cl– are connected through ionic bonding. In the case of Al2O3 also, the bonding is ionic. Donation of electrons takes place from aluminium to lớn oxygen and the formation of ionic bonds takes place.
HCl + Al2O3 Reaction Enthalpy
The enthalpy change for HCl + Al2O3 is 95.70 KJ/mol. The enthalpy for Al2O3 is -165.7 KJ/mol, the hydrochloric acid is -92.31 KJ/mol, aluminium chloride is -78.69 KJ/mol and water is -241.82 KJ/mol. The enthalpy change for HCl + Al2O3 is equal to lớn (-78.69-241.82)-(-92.31-165.7) = 95.70 KJ/mol.
Is HCl + Al2O3 a Buffer Solution?
HCl + Al2O3 is not a buffer solution as hydrochloric acid is a strong acid and it completely dissociates into its ions so sánh it is incapable of forming a buffer solution.
Is HCl + Al2O3 a Complete Reaction?
HCl + Al2O3 is a complete reaction as the products formed are stable. The salt, aluminium chloride, and water are stable in the không tính phí state.
Is HCl + Al2O3 an Exothermic or Endothermic Reaction?
HCl + Al2O3 is an endothermic reaction as the enthalpy of the reaction is positive.
Is HCl + Al2O3 a Redox Reaction?
HCl + Al2O3 is not a redox reaction as the oxidation state of the aluminium remains +3 in the reactants and the products. The oxidation state of hydrogen remains +1 and the oxidation state of chloride ions remains -1 on both the reaction sides.
Is HCl + Al2O3 a Precipitation Reaction?
HCl + Al2O3 is an example of a precipitation reaction.
Is HCl + Al2O3 a Reversible or Irreversible Reaction?
HCl + Al2O3 is an irreversible reaction as the precipitate formed in the product cannot be converted back to lớn the solution.
Is HCl + Al2O3 a Displacement Reaction?
HCl + Al2O3is an example of a double displacement reaction. Displacement reactions of metals and acids are only possible if the acid is very concentrated.
How to lớn Balance Al2O3 + HCl + H2O = [Al(H2O)6]Cl3 ?
- In order to lớn balance the above reaction, the reaction should be reduced as given below-
Al2O3 + HCl = AlCl3+ H2O
Now, Al2O3 + HCl + H2O = [Al(H2O)6]Cl3 can be written as
AlCl3+ H2O + H2O = [Al(H2O)6]Cl3
AlCl3+ 2H2O = [Al(H2O)6]Cl3
- In the above reaction, the number of moles of the water molecule is different on both sides. So in order to lớn equalize the number of water molecules, six moles of water molecules must be present on the reactants side.
AlCl3+ 6H2O = [Al(H2O)6]Cl3
The reaction is balanced.
Aluminium oxide exists in a number of forms, some are very reactive and some are not. Aluminium oxide consists of aluminium metal and non-metal, oxygen. The product formed in the reaction, Aluminium Chloride may appear yellow in colour due to lớn contamination produced by the iron chloride which is a strong lewis acid.
Read more about 15 Facts on HCl + Fe3O4.
Xem thêm: cao + naoh